Monday, November 3, 2008

What? Go Run 22 Miles?

What did you say Ken? I thought I heard you say lets go run 22 miles.

I did say that you lazy bum! Get out of bed and off the couch and give me 22 miles!
(I stole these photos from Ken).
We Did it. Ken got me through my first 22 miler ever. It sure helps to have someone there with you on those long runs. Thanks Ken. It must have been slow going for you.
In all seriousness, Ken was not a slave driver on our run. He was there to support me and walk when I needed. We did plenty of that. I think I learned a lot from this training run. I need to slow down and try to maintain a nice even pace. I need to eat better and probably get more sleep. The day before this long run was Halloween. At work we had all kinds of junk food that is runner unfriendly. I ate my fair share. I paid for it when I ran out of energy early in the miles.
I finished with a slower average pace than I had hoped for but we did stop several times along the way for extended amounts of time either walking, chatting with someone or eating and drinking the wonderful food and beverages we had along the way.
Can a fat boy finish a marathon. We are getting ready to find out in two weeks. Stick around for a full report.

3 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

I am proud of you. I never in my wildest dreams think you would be running a marathon. I know you can do it and I too thank Ken for his helping you and staying with you all the way.

Candice said...

Bobby! You have come so far since you first started training with us!! I have no doubts that you'll be able to finish the marathon - and I'll be there to cheer you on!

Way to go on finishing 22!!

Rachael Alise said...

Bobby, you are totally going to do this! How very cool it is...can't wait to see you wearing your finishers medal and t-shirt!