Monday, November 17, 2008

Celebrity for a day

Well I did it. I completed my first marathon.
Not in a blazingly fast time. But finished none the less.
Clap for Bobby!

My goal was to finish with a 13:44 average pace per mile.
My finishing average pace was 13:54. Pretty good guess
for someone that has never done a marathon before.
The third place clydesdale in my weight class came in
at 5:56:54. I came in at 6:03:53. I was that close to an award.
The sad thing for me is that he was a walker that didn't pass me
until the way back from Jenks. Clap for Keith Landers for doing
so awesome! I have you in my target Keith for next time. You
inspired me to push a little harder next time (if there is a next time!).

Ken ran with me the entire distance carrying a sign saying
"CLAP FOR BOBBY" with an arrow pointing to me. I never heard so
many claps and yells of encouragement. I got cheered on by the
spectators, the aid station workers, the police, cheerleaders, runners
coming from the other direction, Candice, Joye, Christen, Ken's wife
Dana, Joe, some of the bands along the route and many more. At one
spot Ken started barking and even got a dog to cheer me on.
What an experience. I say "CLAP FOR KEN". Thanks Ken.

Special thanks to Ken's wife Dana the crew babe who met us at
several stops along the route to give us encouragement.
She brought us candy, potatoe soup, hot chocolate, chips, etc.
If anyone wants to hire the best crew babe I highly recommend her.

Most of the RunnersWorld group hung around long enough to see me
come in. They grouped together and ran me to the finish line with
encouragement over the last few steps.
Thanks to all of you. It felt great.

Wow I'm stiff. I didn't listen to Coach Kathy's advice. I should have
kept moving but the big, comfy chair was calling my name.

6 comments:

Ethiopian Elites said...

Big comfy chair is okay. you would be sore and stiff anyway.

Walk around some today, a little more tomorrow, maybe with a little bit of running. In a few days it will all be better.

Great job on your first of many marathons!

BOCA said...

*Clap Clap Clap* Way to go!!! I am in awe of your accomplishment. I am sorry I didn't get to see you finish!! It's nice to know that a marathon is indeed survivable!!! Congratulations!!!!

Cassy Russell said...

I am SO proud of you, Bobby. Your stick-to-itiveness is very inspirational. I know there is another marathon in you waiting to get out!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Bobby!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Not many people can do it. Sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on, but I did cheer on Susan. You were in my thoughts though, so I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Rachael Alise said...

Bobby, it was the coolest thing to see you and Ken cross that finish line...I am so inspired by your tenacity to run the marathon and also for Ken being such an awesome coach!

Okay...time to get training for another marathon!!

Whoo hoo...RGP Activate!!

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

If anything brought tears to my eyes it was your finish. You did a great job especially after running the hard 12 miles the week before. It was an inspiration to see you as I was leaving Jenks. Just thinking about this I may cry. Congrats Bobby. You really really deserve that medal.