Sunday, September 28, 2008

Way to go OU, OSU, TU and RunnersWorld






We all won yesterday (Saturday). If you came out and ran,
whether you had a great run or a lousy run, like me, then
you won in my book.

Wow, 18 miles in the history book. Only a 20 miler and a
22 miler to go before the big event. Hang in there everyone
training for the Tulsa Run, Route 66 or whatever event you
are training for.

My run didn't go as well as I had hoped but maybe that
means my next long run will be better. I thought I had
slowed my pace but apparently not enough as evidenced
by Kathy's clock and by the way I started to feel. By the
time I returned from the second 6 mile loop my back and
legs started stiffening and tightening. My stomach was
churning and my feet were getting sore and tired. I had
one more 6 mile loop to conquer when the mind games
started - you can't finish the third loop, you will never run
a marathon, you feel too terrible, where's the restroom
(glad I found it in time), where's Ed? But I didn't listen to
those voices in my head, so I took off on that third loop.
I'll admit I slowed to a walk several times on this third loop.
It took over an hour and a half but I got it done. I was glad
to see some of the other runners and Coach Kathy had stuck
around to see the last of us come in and give us encouragement.
She stressed that it didn't matter how fast you think you should
be going but the time on your feet is what counts. It was a
learning experience.

I didn't have my usual running partner Ed with me this time so
had to put in all those lonely miles with my shadow.
Ed is in L.A. (Lower Alabama) on business. I hope he is getting
some running done.

Paparazzo Ken was missing in action also. He was off fighting his
own battle, A 50k run in Kansas. He called me Saturday evening
checking on my days run and to give me encouragement.
Thanks Ken for the call. Keep an eye out on the Trail Zombie blog
for his race report.

6 comments:

Rachael Alise said...

Bobby, I personally think you are doing awesome...you are going to do this Marathon and then look back at these training days and just smile, as the good, bad and indifferent training days, will have less meaning to you than finishing your first marathon run!!

Besides, take heart, we have two more long, long runs before the marathon, it can only get better.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Keep with it Bobby. I think it helps to have a running partner. Too bad Ed was gone. I think Ken said he was going to run with you in the actual marathon if he doesn't die on the mother road. That should help you immensely.

After the 18 I ran back along the trail to the pedestrian bridge looking for you and the rest of the runners, but didn't find you, so I thought maybe you took a shortcut back, and I headed back to the start along the east bank. I'm glad to hear you made it back okay.

You showed great mental strength in finishing this difficult training run. Good job! Next run slow your pace a little from the start, be sure to drink and take energy and electrolyte replacement, and make sure Ed is there to spur you on, and you will do great.

Kidney Bean a.k.a. Erin said...

Bobby. I think we are the coolest people to walk the planet. I think you did splendidly on Saturday. The way I figure it...if I walk I walk. I am just looking to get it done. I don't want to put a time on it. That's kinda why I haven't worn a timing piece this whole training.

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Way to stay in the game...no matter the mountain to climb. I'm excited for all our teams! OKLAHOMA ROCKS!

T Z said...

Thumbs up to ya Bobby. The miles will get a little longer, but it'll get a little easier as the weather cools. See ya tomorrow.

Candice said...

So sorry that you had a rough one!

Mind games are definitely the worst - but don't let it get you down! You've trained hard and it WILL get you through this!!