Monday, September 15, 2008

16 Candles









No wait, that was no birthday party. It was no party at all and there
was no cake or 16 candles. Saturdays run was 16 miles of nuttin but
huffin and puffin and tryin to not blow chunks. That was a painful
run and the pain has hung around a couple of days now, but getting
better. The first 8 miles felt pretty strong. Then came the turnaround,
it felt like someone pulled the plug and my batteries ran down. Where
was the rain? I wanted to run in the rain. It finally came about 2 miles
from finishing. I loved it while it lasted. Coach Kathy tried to make me
feel better by telling me that we only have three more long runs til
our marathon. She forgot to mention they are 18, 20 and 22 miles
long. Can I make it?

My hat's off to Ed. I think he discovered the cure for a hangover.
He came out and ran 16 miles despite a hangover. I tried to stay in
front of or to the side of him because the word hurl came up a couple
of times. At some point along the run either his hangover went away
or the pain from running became so great that he forgot he had a
hangover.







Sunday, me and the lone bunny slipper (you need to have been
following the RunnersWorld blog
to know what that is) went and helped run an aid station at the
Turkey & Tatur trail race.














The weather was awesome and there were many great runners
out. I wonder how they must feel after running 10k, 25k and 50k
distances on the trails. Hope everyone is recovering.

Monday took a one day vacation. Susan and I went and visited our
daughter at her work and then went and tried a place for lunch
recommended by Ed, Uncle Vinnys. We got a Stromboli and a large
pizza. Um, um good. Got leftovers for tomorrow.

Susan and I met Michael on the west side at Turkey Mountain and
got in 4 miles. Took it fairly easy and it felt good except now I need
to ice my knees. Noticed on the way home that Ken and Brian were
out on the trails cleaning up after the race. Great dedication guys.

Susan says to tell Ed that even though Uncle Vinnys is great food it
is not wise to eat there just a few hours before running.
I had no problems.

4 comments:

T Z said...

Thanks for the refreshing beverages at the race Sunday. That's an A+ for aid station etiquette!

Ethiopian Elites said...

The humidity is what made the 16 miler seem so hard. I even had a tough time with that run. If the cool weather is here to stay, the 18, 20, and 22 milers will be no harder than the 16 miler, maybe even a little easier.

You are doing great! Hang in there. You can make it!

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Happy Sweet 16! Life at 17 miles was when I discovered more pain than I'd ever like to admit. Just remember...you are so much further than you ever were for your half! :) Keep moving forward!

Chrissy (Cooper) Whitten said...

Lost and Two and a Half Men is on my list...you have to be patient...Lost was at the end of that post and I hadn't posted CBS or NBC yet....now you'll see with all the lists just how much tv we watch! ~:)