Monday, March 30, 2009

Tossing and Turning, Moaning and Groaning

Saturday was supposed to be a 20 mile long run but Mother Nature intervened.

Sure we showed up to run like the hardcore runners we are. We took a vote and the majority was to go ahead and run, but soon the cold rain started and soaked us to the bones. Then the cold wind started and made us even colder. Then the snow started falling. Most of us ran our first 5 mile loop and decided we would come back tomorrow for another attempt. Hey it’s spring, what’s this 6-8 inches of snow on the ground? It was a beautiful snow, just not ideal for running.

Sunday at 1:00pm several of us returned to Veteran’s park to try and finish what we started the day before. I for one was not looking forward to running because this is usually my one day of the week to take it easy and not do much. But I sure didn’t want to miss a long run after putting this much time and effort into training. I can’t believe most of the snow has already melted. Now we have puddles everywhere to contend with.

We normally have a full day off from running the day before our long runs but this time we had our failed attempt the day before. I was already tired before I started and my legs were sore. Off we went with plans of completing four 5 mile loops. The first loop I ran with Sandra. It was nonstop except for the water stops. Way to go Sandra. I think you are ready for your half marathon. The second and third loop was run with Linda. We kept each other going while complaining about our aches and pains. After the third loop we decided to call it a day. Thanks for sticking with me Linda. We got our 20 miles but it took us two days to do it.

Sunday night I was ready for bed. My sore muscles wouldn’t let me sleep. They kept me tossing and turning and moaning and groaning all night long. Don’t you just love this thing we call running?

See you Monday nighters tonight for more running. I promise it will not snow.

2 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

Hey thanks for keeping me awake all night with your tossing & turning and moaning and groaning.

Chrissy said...

Gotta loce running...it's what keeps us going...even when we really, really don't want to...you are a more dedicated runner than I...I chickened out and did mileage on my eliptical......:)