Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wow! Saturday's run kicked me in the keister

Saturday's run was supposed to be a 12 miler but I cut it short
at 10. The weather was perfect at the start but soon had to
shed the sweaty jacket. I was already tired after the first half
mile. My hamstrings were already getting tight. My hamstrings
never get tight. Had I done too much during the week? Did I get
enough rest? Did the fall on ice Wednesday night have an effect
on me? Did the 71st street hill wipe me out? Did keeping up
with the crowd take its toll on me? Who knows? One thing I do
know is that I got dehydrated. There was plenty of water stops
along the route (thanks RunnersWorld) and I do carry a water
bottle, but for some reason I just didn't pay enough attention to
how much I was not drinking. I was wiped out and felt horrible
the remainder of the day.
Note to self: drink more while running!

mile 1 - 12:13
mile 2 - 13:34
mile 3 - 12:09
mile 4 - 13:00
mile 5 - 14:00
mile 6 - 15:15 (too much chatting at the water stop)
mile 7 - 14:48 (started walking here)
mile 8 - 14:23
mile 9 - 15:36
mile 10 - 15:15

Average pace 14:02 per mile.
Average heart rate 145 bpm (should be more like 120-137 bpm).

One good thing about the run was that my knees didn't hurt.
I have had sore knees for almost as long as I have been running
(two years) but especially my left knee has given me trouble since
a fall I took over a year ago. I have been going to Chiropractor
Dr. Zoellner for a couple of weeks because of lower back issues
and the pains of running. The other day he gave me an
acupuncture treatment on the left knee. It has been pain free
since then, even after the 10 mile run. Now I want acupuncture
on my entire body. Can they do that? Since I have never been a
fan of taking drugs to temporarily mask pain, I thought I would
take advantage of my insurance benefit and give Chiropractic
care a try. So far it has been a success with me. Thanks Dr. Z.

1 comment:

T Z said...

One word: OUCH!!!!