Monday, January 19, 2009

Heart Rate Monitor


Okay. I have this expensive Garmin with a heart rate monitor.
I have always worn the heart rate monitor while running just
to see what my heart rate was and for a history in case I ever
wanted to go back and compare. However, the beats per minute
never really meant anything to me until I started reading a little
about it. There are five heart rate zones for running, with 1 being
easy effort and 5 being maximum effort. These rates are based
on a percentage of your theoretical maximum heart rate which is
based on factors such as age and weight. Your heart rate and
heart rate zones may be a little higher or a little lower but should
be close enough based on averages. According to what I have read,
most of your running, especially your long runs, you should keep
your heart rate in zone 3. According to my history, most of my
running has been in zone 4.5 - 5. Does this mean I am overtraining
and need to slow down? I seem to run at the same pace all the time
no matter the distance.

I just ate smoked mackerel for the first time in my life. I like it.
Is that a runner friendly food?

3 comments:

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

so i am just an eye doc but maybe you should get an EKG just to be safe. you feel fine when you run right? (other then you leg/feet pains) btw, good luck with dr. z tomorrow!

Bobby said...

I had an EKG 2 weeks ago. Good report. My only worry would be clogged plumbing.

Anonymous said...

Take a look at our training articles on the site. www.polarusa.com. We have some decent articles that will help you structure a HR training program.. Running in a high intensity zone is great for building endurance. Perhaps some interval training thrown in will help.

If you are on twitter, DM me and I'll send you a free Edmund Burke book on HR training. twitter.com/chrispolarusa

-Chris @ Polar